[Slackbuilds-users] lists.slackbuilds.org hardware problem

Chris chris at teria.org
Fri Jun 21 16:13:30 UTC 2013

WD Green drives are subject to aggressive head parking ... This is sadly a well known issue :/ Eventually in a RAID environment, it destroys the drives ... I lost myself one of these drives.
Everything is exaplained here :
http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/wd30ezrx-and-aggressive-head-parking/

The solution is to disable the Idle3 functionality of these drives. Official WD tool to do this is a DOS floppy disk (yeah ...). Fortunately some people released an unofficial tool which works like a charm under Slackware e.g.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/idle3-tools/