[Slackbuilds-users] lists.slackbuilds.org hardware problem

W. D. Milner slackware at caisteal.net
Fri Jun 21 23:19:42 UTC 2013

On 06/21/2013 01:13 PM, Chris wrote:

> WD Green drives are subject to aggressive head parking ... This is sadly a well known issue :/ Eventually in a RAID environment, it destroys the drives ... I lost myself one of these drives.
> Everything is exaplained here :
> http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/wd30ezrx-and-aggressive-head-parking/
>
> The solution is to disable the Idle3 functionality of these drives. Official WD tool to do this is a DOS floppy disk (yeah ...). Fortunately some people released an unofficial tool which works like a charm under Slackware e.g.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/idle3-tools/

The solution is to use appropriate drives for the purpose. There are
reasons some drives are specified for RAID/enterprise use. Yes they cost
more, but they are also far more reliable and longer lasting than
desktop drives used in the same environment.

--
W. D. Milner (a.k.a. NyteOwl)

Slackware Documentation Project - Editor
http://docs.slackware.com/
#slackdocs on irc.freenode.net