[Slackbuilds-users] Package for TLP

Aaditya Bagga aaditya_gnulinux at zoho.com
Tue Nov 19 20:36:08 UTC 2013

On 11/20/2013 01:40 AM, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:35:56 +0530
> Aaditya Bagga <abchk1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> JK Wood wrote:

>>> doinst.sh, but there are also some post-remove tasks, which I dont
>>> how to incorporate.
>>> configuration files that were being placed in /etc/init.d are now
>>> placed as /etc/rc.d/rc.tlp

>>> /etc/rc.d/rc.local, set in doinst.sh

>>> of this line from rc.local or the other settings done in doinst.sh..
>>>>
>>> Generally, you want to avoid messing with the user's rc.local. I'd
>>> include information on how to add it to rc.local to the README and
>>> let them deal with it. You could wrap it in a check for rc.tdp
>>> existing so that there's no problem after uninstall, I suppose.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JK
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> I think that it makes sense that to install a power saving
>> service/daemon like TLP, it should autostart :)
>> But if I cant remove it from rc.local after installation, I think I
>> will leave it to the user..
>> But there's one more thing..
>>
>>   From tlp's website-
>>

>>      Post Installation Script (tlp)
>>
>> # Disable conflicting pm-utils hooks-
>> for i in 95hdparm-apm disable_wol hal-cd-polling
>> intel-audio-powersave harddrive \ laptop-mode journal-commit
>> pci_devices pcie_aspm readahead sata_alpm \ sched-powersave
>> usb_bluetooth wireless xfs_buffer; do if
>> [ -x /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/$i ]; then ln
>> -sf /usr/lib/tlp-pm/tlp-nop /etc/pm/power.d/$i fi done # Restart
>> acpid -- insert distro specific code here
>>
>> I put this code in doinst.sh .. should I remove it as well if I cant
>> make it go back to the original state ?
>
> First of all, you need to subscribe to the list.  We have to go
> and manually approve your posts since you're not a subscriber,
> but I'm not going to continue doing that.  If you're going to
> post regularly, then subscribe.
>
> Second, you don't make modifications to a system aside from the
> usual package installation stuff.  Don't edit the init scripts,
> don't edit files that belong to another package, etcetera.  If
> those things *must* be done, then you note them in the README
> file that we require (or if there are *lots* of things to do,
> then you create a separate file, e.g. README.initialsetup).
>
> Third, the comflicting pm-utils hooks are already disabled in
> Slackware 14.1 ; we did that during the -current devel cycle.
>
> Fourth, Slackware doesn't provide any pre-remove or post-remove
> support for packages; I won't argue that there's some potential
> use case for it, but this is one of the (many) cases where it
> would be abused to undo something that the package never should
> have done anyway.
>
> -RW

recognise it..
So I unsubscribed and subscribed again.
Sorry for any inconvinience caused, it was a hinderance to me too.

2.)I did notice that the folder in question was empty for me, but I
didnt know if it would be empty for others :)

3.)I tried to address these concerns in my last message-

Aaditya Bagga wrote:

Ok, I tried
I made the doinst.sh file optional, if a user wants, he could run the
slackbuild with additional argument to do post-install functions.
I have also included a script for doing post removal functions.
I wrote this info in the README.

The file to download is the same,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mefiles/files/TLP.tar.gz/

Thanks! :)