[Slackbuilds-users] Samhain Update

Richard Scott Smith pilbender at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 20:11:33 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 08:46 AM, Robby Workman wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:21:58 -0700
> Richard Scott Smith <pilbender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sincere apologies Robby.  My news server I used to use was shut
>> down.  I hate to do this to you because you are busy and might have
>> to approve it again.  Did it go with you having to approve it?
>
> Yeah, I had to approve it again.
>
> I'm confused.  How does losing a news server have any bearing on
> this list?  It's not a newsgroup - it's a mailing list.  Assuming
> you do indeed own the pilbender at gmail.com address from which you
> are posting, and assuming it is subscribed to the list (it is),
> you should be getting emails from the list, and you can simply
> reply to those emails -- no need to involve gmane or a nntp server
> or anything of the like.   What am I missing here?  :-)
>
> -RW
My ISP used to have news servers and they were shutdown.  Maybe there
wasn't enough people using them for legitimate purposes, I don't know.
But, I used to use those news servers.  I had things set up so I could
use that for looking at all the threads and I could post or reply.  Life
was good.  It was fine because the real email addresses were used.  The
last post above was posted to the email address you sent.  However,
gmane is scrubbing the addresses.

Here's what I saw:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:14:07 -0700
Richard Scott Smith<pilbender-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:

You're sending to the list through gmane - please stop
doing that, as I have to manually approve each posting.
Send toslackbuilds-users-ko+OqhKiB2wsHrnhXWJB8w at public.gmane.org  instead.

-RW

Here is what you sent:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:14:07 -0700
Richard Scott Smith<pilbender at gmail.com>  wrote:

You're sending to the list through gmane - please stop
doing that, as I have to manually approve each posting.
Send toslackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org  instead.

-RW

I'm not used to using gmane, but I was just looking for an alternative.
I like using news for this sort of thing because it's easier to read and
follow the threads.  I'll either just read only through gmane or I'll
look for another alternative news provider. For now I'll reply directly
in email now that I understand what is happening.

scott