[Slackbuilds-users] brlcad: update status

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Sun Nov 24 19:41:47 UTC 2013

I was too hasty with my statement that build of brlcad was successful.
Yes it builds and mged seems to work fine. But archer, which I mistakenly
didn't test, segfaults before even opening a window.

I have been scrambling to find a fix, to no avail so far. The issue seems
to be compatibility problems with the versions of tcl/tk and itcl/itk/iwidgets.
One thing that I can't seem to work around is that the Tcl8.6.1 package installs
itcl4.0.0, and that is in the main slackware repository; brlcad bundles Tcl/Tk8.5.9
and itcl/itk3.4 (this version number for itk seems to be unique to brlcad).

I am coming to the conclusion that using the system installed tcl/tk to build brlcad
is not going to work and my changes to the brlcad.SlackBuild are unusable at this
time. If slackers really want brlcad and are willing to accept the increased size
of the fully bundled build, that SlackBuild is easily prepared. A patch for
bundled build, which applies against my previous summission, is attached.

If anyone has any suggestions as possible workarounds that I may have missed, I
welcome the input.

j_v