[Slackbuilds-users] brlcad: update status

John Vogel jvogel4 at stny.rr.com
Wed Nov 27 22:12:42 UTC 2013

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 14:41:47 -0500
John Vogel <jvogel4 at stny.rr.com> wrote:

> I was too hasty with my statement that build of brlcad was successful.
> Yes it builds and mged seems to work fine. But archer, which I mistakenly
> didn't test, segfaults before even opening a window.
>
> I have been scrambling to find a fix, to no avail so far. The issue seems
> to be compatibility problems with the versions of tcl/tk and itcl/itk/iwidgets.
> One thing that I can't seem to work around is that the Tcl8.6.1 package installs
> itcl4.0.0, and that is in the main slackware repository; brlcad bundles Tcl/Tk8.5.9
> and itcl/itk3.4 (this version number for itk seems to be unique to brlcad).
>
> I am coming to the conclusion that using the system installed tcl/tk to build brlcad
> is not going to work and my changes to the brlcad.SlackBuild are unusable at this
> time. If slackers really want brlcad and are willing to accept the increased size
> of the fully bundled build, that SlackBuild is easily prepared. A patch for
> bundled build, which applies against my previous summission, is attached.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions as possible workarounds that I may have missed, I
> welcome the input.
>
> j_v

So now I know that itcl/itk 3.x (versions 3.4/3.3 used by brlcad) are incompatible (1)
with tcl/tk8. I have build versions of brlcad using several methods:

1. tcl/tk8.6.1 built without the included itcl package:
  a. bundled itcl3.4/itk3.3
  b. system built itcl/itk4.0.0
2. tcl/tk8.6.1 with included itcl package left in:
  a. bundled itk3.3 (this wouldn't build)
  b. system itk4.0.0
3. downgraded system to tcl/tk8.5.15 then built itcl/itk bundled

All except 2a builds. The only one that builds working binaries is 3. In effect, 3 is equal to bundling, since I can't imagine asking the BDFL to downgrade tcl/tk. Please consider my patch
that fixes the build script to create fully working binaries.

Cordially,
j_v

(1) http://community.activestate.com/node/6685