[Slackbuilds-users] PostgreSQL - multiple installed versions

Adis Nezirovic adis at linux.org.ba
Tue Sep 3 15:04:15 UTC 2013

Guys, I have a question for all PostgreSQL users and SBo admins.

Would it be OK for the next PostgreSQL package (upcoming 9.3) to be version
specific and parallel-installable with  old PostgreSQL versions.
(of course, we would continue that practice in the future).

Since PostgreSQL installations are not upgradeable in place, one needs to
do export/import data cycle or use pg_upgrade utility, and having old and
new database instance would be very handy for that.

The packages would be named postgresql93 (v9.3.x), postgresql94 (v9.4.x)
(the current postgresql can be treated as postgresql92), and would use
version specific data directories.

Best regards,
Adis