[Slackbuilds-users] perl-* slackbuild updates

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Mon Sep 9 23:19:41 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 03:22 AM, LEVAI Daniel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a slackbuild for the WWW-Google-Contacts perl module and
> the long line of its dependencies required some updates to other perl
> modules. I've made updated slackbuilds and mailed the diffs to the
> corresponding maintainers, but all of them timed out.
> It would be great to see these get updated, so what now?
>
> The modules in question:
> Crypt-SSLeay
> Net-SSLeay
> perl-Class-Load
> perl-Dist-CheckConflicts
> perl-IO-Socket-INET6

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I've been wanting to ask this for a
long time, and this list is probably the place where I'll get the best
answers, from the people who have the perspectives that matter to me the
most in this regard.

I often have problems when meeting Perl dependencies using SlackBuilds,
sometimes they bomb, but more often than not, the list of deps needed
are simply incomplete, prompting me to just use the cpan shell to
install and maintain those modules.

What are the advantages of using SBo's over that of cpan, for the
management and installation of Perl modules, and why might I choose one
method over the other?

Again, I'm asking this from the perspective of those who are Slackers,
using SBos to manage almost all of their installed software bases in the
first place.

Thanks, and kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton