[Slackbuilds-users] perl-* slackbuild updates

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Tue Sep 10 06:14:14 UTC 2013

On Monday 09 September 2013 16:19:41 Bradley D. Thornton wrote:
> - gpg control packet
>
> On 09/09/2013 03:22 AM, LEVAI Daniel wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm working on a slackbuild for the WWW-Google-Contacts perl module and
> > the long line of its dependencies required some updates to other perl
> > modules. I've made updated slackbuilds and mailed the diffs to the
> > corresponding maintainers, but all of them timed out.
> > It would be great to see these get updated, so what now?
> >
> > The modules in question:
> > Crypt-SSLeay
> > Net-SSLeay
> > perl-Class-Load
> > perl-Dist-CheckConflicts
> > perl-IO-Socket-INET6
>
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but I've been wanting to ask this for a
> long time, and this list is probably the place where I'll get the best
> answers, from the people who have the perspectives that matter to me the
> most in this regard.
>
> I often have problems when meeting Perl dependencies using SlackBuilds,
> sometimes they bomb, but more often than not, the list of deps needed
> are simply incomplete, prompting me to just use the cpan shell to
> install and maintain those modules.
>
> What are the advantages of using SBo's over that of cpan, for the
> management and installation of Perl modules, and why might I choose one
> method over the other?
>
> Again, I'm asking this from the perspective of those who are Slackers,
> using SBos to manage almost all of their installed software bases in the
> first place.

This is, actually, not perl specific. A lot of languages have native mechanisms
for managing extensions:

perl has CPAN
python has easy_install
php has pear/pecl
ruby has gem

using either one of them works just fine. After all they were developed to
handle the job of maintaining extensions.
Now, consider the case where for some reason you need extensions for all of
them. You have the choice of using SlackBuilds to generate packages for them,
and manage them all using pkgtool, or you can use the native mechanism for
each of them, or you mix and match. Again, either option will work just fine,
but it's a matter of what you consider easier to work with. Me, I prefer
working with one toolset rather than n different tools for updating my
software.

Grs,
Heinz