[Slackbuilds-users] tsocks is broken on Slackware64

Ben Mendis dragonwisard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:26:00 UTC 2013

Hello,

I was teaching a coworker about SSH tunneling and wanted to demonstrate
using a SOCKS proxy with command-line utilities that are not SOCKS-aware. I
tried to demonstrate tsocks but it did not work properly out-of-the-box on
Slackware64.

After a little bit of troubleshooting I figured out that the problem was an
incorrect library path being added to LD_PRELOAD.

The 'tsocks' command is adding the path '/usr/lib/libtsocks.so' when the
library is actually located at '/usr/lib64/libtsocks.so'.
It works fine if you specify it manually, eg:
$ LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libtsocks.so" ssh target_host

proxychains works correctly out of the box.

Also, it would be helpful if the tsocks.conf examples from the source
directory (let alone the 'inspectsocks' and 'validateconf' utilities which
are referenced in the tsocks man page) were included in the package.

Thank you,
Ben the Pyrate