[Slackbuilds-users] texlive slackbuild produces a broken xindy.(14.1, 20140525)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 11 22:09:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

Introductory history to explain why I'm reporting this -

 I've ended up taking (some) responsibility for texlive at another
place [1] and some while ago we got notified that _our_ build
(starting from the binary install-tl-unx) was not buildng xindy (an
indexing tool, used by 'makeglossaries').

 At that time, I could not find out how to _use_ it, so I delayed
adding it.  Eventually I found an example, which I adapted and got
working (well, it works on our x86_64, but not on i686 - that part
is *my* problem).

 Because I wanted to be able to run tests to check that things still
worked after an upgrade, I started preparing some test scripts.  And
then I decided to try to make them more generally useful, and also
to ensure that I could look for texlive OTF/TTF fonts wherever they
had been installed.  For that, I've been using qemu.

And now, the problem:

On the (64-bit) slackbuild, xindy gets built but it is broken.  I've
now found an easier test (which works for me on both i686 and x86_64
and does not need modern fonts, and does actually error if it fails:
tug.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/glossaries/samples/samplexdy.tex
(I assume wget will be able to download thet, I used firefox).

 This creates three somewhat sparse pages, followed by two pages of
glossary.  The commands to run it to create a PDF are:
$latex samplexdy
$makeglossaries samplexdy
$pdflatex samplexdy

 but on your 64-bit it initially fails with

***Call to xindy failed***

Check 'samplexdy.glg' for details

 which said among other things
xindy: Cannot locate /usr/lib64/xindy.mem at /usr/bin/xindy line
519.

 Well, xindy.mem is in /usr/bin so I made a symlink and tried again.
But makeglossaries still fails:

xindy -L general -I xindy -M "samplexdy" -t "samplexdy.glg" -o
"samplexdy.gls! "samplexdy.glo"
Cannot locate xindy module for language general.

***Call to xindy failed***

Check 'samplexdy.glg' for details

 - that now contains:

*** Unable to execute: '"xindy" -L english -C utf8 -I xindy -M
"samplexdy" -t "samplexdy.glg" -o "samplexdy.gls" "samplexdy.glo"'
***

Failed with error code 1.

Status report:

Cannot locate xindy module for language english in codepage utf8.

 At that point, I gave up.  No idea why it said 'language general'
when it is actually trying to use english.  I wonder if, perhaps,
a UTF-8 locale is needed to build xindy.

 I'm not subscribed, but if you need to contact me, the address I'm
sending from should work.

 This is a somewhat niche part of tex, I can understand if you do
not care about it.  If somebdy wants to look at it, it might be
easiest to start with the separate xindy-2.5.0 tarball at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/indexing/xindy/base to save having
to build all of texlive.

ĸen

[1.] beyond.linuxfromscratch.org