[Slackbuilds-users] A question about maintaining perl/* slackbuilds.

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 20:25:42 UTC 2014

> 1) If we decide to automate upgrading all of the perl/ slackbuilds to
> use the latest version, how should we make sure it doesn't break other
> slackbuilds that rely on that perl module?
>
> 2) If we decide to automate upgrading all of the perl/ slackbuilds,
> should we have just a single maintainer for _all_ of the perl/
> slackbuilds, or should we continue with having a different maintainer
> for each perl slackbuild module?

these two don't seem very reasonable to me: we have no guarantee at
all that 1) works painlessly and about 2) we cannot have a single
mantainer for all the perl stuff (he could become crazy -also there
will be problems on new perl submissions, etc., etc.). maintainig perl
modules through automated updates will lead to major breakages, IMHO.

> 3) #perl on freenode recommended that we use www.cpan.org for the
> download link, if we decide to do this rather than using metacpan for
> the download link, we will have to upgrade all perl/ slackbuilds to
> their latest version, or we will have dead links. So, would you like
> to use www.cpan.org for the download link, or would you rather use
> metacpan for the download link until we make a decision on for my
> question #2?

I would say to use metacpan for homepages and download links, but
before giving a personal opinion I would like to read some statements
about the cpan situation from some perl source...

Matteo