[Slackbuilds-users] Slightly OT: version-agnostic repository for packages binaries

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Mar 17 07:26:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is not directly SlackBuilds.org-related, but I can't think of a
better place to ask this. As some of you maybe know, I'm providing a
series of online repositories for Slackware packages:
http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware. More often than not, I'm building
these packages using modified scripts from SlackBuilds.org.

Currently, Slackware 14.0 and 14.1 are supported for 32-bit and 64-bit
architecture, and I'm planning to follow Slackware's support cycle for
future versions.

There's a bit of redundancy for some of the packages, and I'm thinking
about moving them to some sort of common repository. Some packages are
essentially repackaged binaries, and I'm thinking about these especially:

* jdk
* flash-plugin
* openoffice
* openoffice-langpack
* libreoffice
* libreoffice-langpack

My idea is to create a separate MLED-common-32bit and MLED-common-64bit
repository for these packages, which could be usable for Slackware 14.0,
14.1 and future versions.

As far as I can tell, the packages mentioned above are packaged in
exactly the same manner for Slackware 14.0 and 14.1, and will probably
be packaged likewise for the coming releases of Slackware. So this seems
like a good idea to me. But then, maybe there's a pitfall I don't see.

Any suggestions ?

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr