[Slackbuilds-users] Texlive-20130530 Build Errors

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:38:59 UTC 2014

>   There's plenty of room in each partition (ext3):

that's cool, thanks for checking

>   I've watch top and installpkg is never the topmost running application; in
> fact, there are usually two processes running and both are sleeping (S+)
> which I did not think was appropriate.
>
>   If anyone can suggest other tests or information that will help diagnose
> and resolve this situation I'll quickly provide the results.

Strategy A is to observe more closely what the system is doing.  Start
the install, wait ten mins, and do 'vmstat 5 20' and 'iostat 5 20' and
'ps -efl' to see what's happening.  Look for the tree of pids that
starts with installpkg.  This might reveal something like an i/o
redirection that has gone wrong so that it's waiting forever for input
(you might also want to try typing ctrl/d on the controlling terminal
in case that's what's up).

Strategy B is to think it through from the other end.  Either
installpkg itself has gone off on one, or it's the doinst.sh.  Does
the installpkg command print 'Executing install script for
texlive-20130530-i486-2_SBo.tgz' before it seems to stop? If so, we're
looking at a doinst.sh problem.  The texlive doinst.sh has these three
lines:

chroot . /usr/bin/mktexlsr 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
chroot . /usr/bin/updmap-sys --nohash --syncwithtrees 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
chroot . /usr/bin/fmtutil-sys --all 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

I'm not sure what these commands do, but it might be interesting to
remove '1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null' from them to see what shows up when
the package is installed.  (Maybe you could shortcircuit the need to
rebuild the whole package by using explodepkg, editing
install/doinst.sh, and making a new package with makepkg).

Anybody else have some tips?

-D.