[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20141101.1

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 1 09:00:24 UTC 2014

On 11/01/2014 01:38 PM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

>> libraries/live555: Updated for version 2014.10.21.
>>
>> Aaaand there is a new version [1], which means that the source code
>> for 2014.10.21 has been already deleted :-)
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> [1] http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/live.2014.10.28.tar.gz
>
> i didn't have a copy of the current version since i have deleted them
> if anyone have that copy (i assume Christoph has it), can it be hosted
> somewhere public?
> I will update the download link in the website

Keeping our own versions would be useful - there have been several
updates recently and if the developers continue updating at this rate,
the SlackBuilds will most likely specify out of date (therefore missing)
source versions again.

Ryan, thanks for hosting the live.2014.10.28.tar.gz tarball. Are you up
for keeping an archive of them i.e. adding new versions of the source
tarballs as they appear? I'm happy to set up something like that myself
(and feel its my responsibility) but since you've already started with
this one ..

Actually, build failure due to an unavailable (out of date) source
tarball could also be seen as a good thing, in that its better to be
aware of a more recent (better?) version rather than being able to build
old versions through keeping our own archive of older versions. I guess
thats the developer's motivation too - they'd prefer everyone is using
the latest version, so don't keep old versions available.

The problem then is how to know when there's a new version available. To
that end, I've made a little script that downloads the source tarball's
md5sum and compares it with the local version. If they're different then
the script sends me an email so that I know to check what's going on.
After some fine tuning, I'll add it to my cron.daily so we should be
able to keep the SlackBuild up to date.

Any other ideas, comments, ..?

chris