[Slackbuilds-users] qemu annotations

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 20:20:17 UTC 2014

On 11/15/2014 05:03 PM, Thomas Morper wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I've had a closer look at the qemu SlackBuild and now I'm wondering about
> some of the constructs in there.
>
> The checks for libusb, spice and usbredir seem to be completely redundant
> because qemu's configure will check for availability of these features and
> enable them when possible.
>
> The check for the device tree compiler seems to be even more than
> redundant, because this isn't even an optional depedency as the dtc has
> been bundled with qemu since at least version 2.0.0.
>
> Most configure options just state the defaults.
>
> The OS_CFLAGS parameter is probably meaningless; it's not used anywhere in
> the makefiles.
>
> A propos make... to get a parallel build (e.g. with MAKEFLAGS=-j4) you
> have to "make config-all-devices.mak config-all-disas.mak" first,
> otherwise "make" will run a single job only which will take quite a while
> when building all targets (anybody with a better understanding of "make"
> care to explain?).
>
> Maybe the qemu SlackBuild should get a cleanup (and an update to 2.1.2).
>
> Cheers!

Good points; I'll work on it.  There's a lot of cruft left over from
qemu-1.x that no longer applies.  I've been meaning to get to a cleanup
for a while.

As for parallel builds, you'll have to define "long time" - minutes,
hours, days, weeks?  I build in a VM running on an antique Athlon 64 X2
5200+ (2 GB RAM) and haven't noticed speed issues ( it does take a
bit)...but then I wander off on other tasks while I'm waiting.

-Ed