[Slackbuilds-users] Patches in `$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/`?

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Aug 11 05:19:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 11/08/2015 05:13, Thomas Szteliga wrote:
> SlackBuild templates (and scripts) contain this line:
>

> ~~~~
> cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild \
>      > $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild
> ~~~~
>

> but what if a SlackBuild script requires patches applied
> during its execution. Shouldn't they be copied to
>

> 	$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/
>
> as well?
>

> For example, `arj` <http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/system/arj/>
> requires a lot of patches
> <http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1/system/arj/patches/> but the
> SlackBuild script
> <http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.1/system/arj/arj.SlackBuild>
> still contains only:
>
> ~~~~
> cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild \
>      > $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild
> ~~~~
>

> leaving the patches out.

Well, it depends.

In the aforementioned case, the patches comes for Debian that
distributes them in a tarball found e.g. here for sid
https://packages.debian.org/sid/arj
In this case the Debian packaging tarball that
includes the patches is:
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/arj/arj_3.10.22-14.debian.tar.xz
IMHO including the patches in the SBo tarball,
as done for arj, has the inconvennience that
we don't know from which Debian packaging tarball
(for sid, sqeeze, wheezy,stretch...  ?) they come
from. I didn't check but maybe the patches differ.

For that reason in such a case tend to provide
the link to the Debian packaging tarball as a
source file unpacked by the SlackBuild, instead
of including the patches in the SBo tarball.

That's what I have for 'bogl', 'bidiv' or 'newt",
not (yet) submitted but available here:
http://slint.fr/packages/extra/bogl/build/
http://slint.fr/packages/extra/bidiv/build/
http://slint.fr/packages/extra/newt/build/

For instance:
----
for i in `cat ../debian/patches/series`; do
   cat ../debian/patches/$i | patch -p1 --verbose
done
----
I think that makes the maintenance easier:
_ We know from which Debian packaging tarball
   come the patches
_ possibly some of them only are applied, but
   then we know which are left over.

But there are other cases.

For Bicon:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/system/bicon/
the source are on git and I cherry picked a patch
from its commit and included it in the SBo tarball.
In this case I agree that I could (should?) have
provided it in
$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/
possibly in a subdirectory
$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/patches

Cheers,
Didier

PS an attentive reader could notice that newt is
already available @http://slackbuids.org.

But it is built from the sources hosted @Fedora,
that left over a patch allowing 'whiptail" to
properly display bi-directional text.