[Slackbuilds-users] Patches in `$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/`?

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Tue Aug 11 14:46:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 05:13:12 +0200
Thomas Szteliga <ts at websafe.pl> wrote:

> but what if a SlackBuild script requires patches applied
> during its execution. Shouldn't they be copied to
> 	$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/

This is currently up to the maintainer and some scripts in the repo do copy
the patches into the docs dir with the SlackBuild. So, there's nothing
preventing it. I am all for making it mandatory, since a script can be
completely useless without the patches.

I also wouldn't mind the .info and build options (somehow) being documented
in the final package. I've long held the opinion that all information
required to rebuild the exact package should be included in the package
itself.

Thinking to a recent example that affected me, webkitgtk from ponce's repo
is broken on it's own. The required libwebp package is not documented
anywhere in/near the package. This is not ponce's fault, of course, since it
was built with my script! :) I imagine this is difficult to solve for less
experienced users, who may not know where the original script came from, or
know/care to use ldd or other tools to find out what's missing.

At the very least, I don't think there are any negatives to including
patches and the .info file.

--
Erik Hanson