[Slackbuilds-users] Patches in `$PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/`?

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:09:00 UTC 2015

> Not sure if I could have been clearer, it wasn't an attack on you, or a
> call-out, or an invitation to discuss how Google returns Slackware package

but I hadn't took it that way :D
I just thought it would be another nice occasion to say that my
personal repository is completely unsupported (it's never enough).

> search results. Hint: it doesn't include or link to your disclaimers,
> README.txt files, emails, IRC logs, or any other places you've discussed how
> your repo works. In fact, it's really not about you or your repo at all:
>
>> > since it was built with my script! :)
>> > since it was built with my script! :)
>> > since it was built with my script! :)
>> > since it was built with my script! :)
>> > since it was built with my script! :)
>
> It's an example of a problem *I HAD* and is easily solvable. It happens
> with other well known repos. I suppose my mistake here was deciding to
> mention yours. Quickly needing a trustable webkitgtk package happened to
> me recently, was fresh on my mind, and works as an example for the
> discussion at hand.

well, np at all, it's ok! really! :-)

> It applies to any other publicly/privately made repos using SBo scripts. If
> my script, or all SBo scripts, copied the .info file into the package, this
> wouldn't be an issue. The dep info would be there, in the package,
> irrespective of whether anyone chooses to include dep info in their repo or
> not.

well, one of the reason why I won't support dependency resolution at
al is that I make large use of optional ones: in the example I might
have built webkitgtk against geoclue, and that information wouldn't
have gone in the info file (not to mention the case of ffmpeg).

Matteo

P.S. to clarify a little my previous statement regarding debian
tarballs that include the patches and that they store in their /pool/
directories I really had to fix their download links many times in the
past.
taking as an example netcat-openbsd, its debian tarball now links to
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/n/netcat-openbsd/netcat-openbsd_1.105-7.debian.tar.gz:
if we link that and they increment their version for whatever reason
(from 7 to 8) the download is broken.