[Slackbuilds-users] bashisms?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 16:45:18 UTC 2015

On 8/27/15, David Spencer <baildon.research at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Seeing as we mentioned remmina...
> the tarball extraction is broken, and there's a bashism too.
> (sorry for the nitpick)

Are we supposed to be avoiding bashisms?

I used to use bashisms, and put #!/bin/bash at the top of my
slackbuilds. In every case, someone on the SBo team changed the shebang
to #!/bin/sh but left the bashisms in place.

I've been told in no uncertain terms that /bin/sh has always been bash on
Slackware, and always will be... and I know that slackbuild scripts only
ever have to run on installed Slackware systems (not from the busybox
installer environment).

Slackware itself uses bashisms in #!/bin/sh scripts: rc.S, rc.inet1,
and /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks at least (though the dhcpcd one is
shipped that way by upstream). So I quit worrying about it, and just use
#!/bin/sh for all build scripts, but use bashisms whenever I feel like
they make sense. If it's good enough for Pat, it's good enough for me.

However, from time to time I see patches or git commits that "fix"
scripts to get rid of bashisms. I am a bit confused. Have I been doin'
it wrong all this time?