[Slackbuilds-users] gogglesmm new Homepage

Karel Venken k.venken at online.be
Fri Jan 2 14:07:55 UTC 2015

Karel Venken wrote:
> Robby Workman wrote:

>>> unfortunately, it will require newer fox-toolkit which we don't have
>>> in our repo
>>> they are tracking development version of fox-toolkit and increase it
>>> almost on every release
>>
>> fox-toolkit is only used by xfe otherwise, last I looked (in fact,
>> it was xfe that originally provided the reason for fox-toolkit's
>> inclusion in our repo), so as long as someone is willing to verify
>> that xfe still works with it (or at least bump xfe as needed),
>> there's no reason to hold back gogglesmm.  I'm the maintainer for
>> both fox-toolkit and xfe, so whoever wants to be responsible for
>> those is welcome to grab them.
>>
>> -RW
>
> I am actively using xfe. I checked the xfe website it clearly states
> xfe won't compile with version 1.7.x of FOX. Not sure this is going to
> change. If it would be intresting to know, I can give it a try this
> evening with the new version anyway, you'll never know, but I won't
> count on it.
>
> K.

What I found (in a clean Slackware system)

- modified the Slackbuild to use fox version 1.7.50
- download, (slack)build and install fox-toolkit
- download, (slack)build xfe

As expected, xfe won't build as it tests for fox-toolkit 1.60, so I
modified the configure to check for 1.7 instead and use this one.
Next, the compiler complained in several (?) files about ... eg. missing
definition for TRUE, FALSE, so I tried to fix a few files, but it seems
that the API has changed and fixing would require some effort which I
have not done. I have to admit, I am not good at this,...

With version 1.7 still installed on my system, I set the SlackBuild
'back' to 1.6.50 (actually, the current still refers to 1.6.49) and
tried to build xfe which was succesfull. So if really needed, both
versions can coexist, but as said, xfe won't build out of the box with
1.7.50.

FWW, If I am the only one using XFE feel free to 'abandon it' and
upgrade the fox-toolkit.

K.