[Slackbuilds-users] wxPython- Available

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at slackbuilds.org
Mon Jan 12 19:29:41 UTC 2015

On Monday 12 January 2015 11:02:54 Ryan P.C. McQuen wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2015 10:58 AM, "Matteo Bernardini" <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com>
> > sorry Rich, I didn't meant to be rude, but IMHO (don't mean to step on
> > Heinz toes) switching to wxPython-3.x for all the stuff we have in out
> > repository isn't gonna be that easy.
> maybe the packages should be separated?

That suggestion has come up in the past, and conceptually there's nothing 
wrong with it. Yet, it doesn't really solve the problem as the fact remains 
that some builds need the wx 2.8 api and some need the 3.0 api.

Historically, the reason I started maintaining wxPython was for exactly this 
fact. We had wxGTK 2.6 in the repo, and a ton of builds depended on it. 2.8 
came out, but lots of things were just not ready. So instead of waiting for 
everything to get ready for wxGTK 2.8, I submitted wxPython 2.8, made it 
conflict with wxGTK and gave apps the choice to either use the old wxGTK or the 
new wxPython, until everything was ready and one became pretty much drop-in 
for the other.

Today, the situation is slightly more complicated. We have wxGTK and wxGTK3 in 
the repo, and quite an amount of builds that actually depend on the python 
bindings shipped in wxPython. To top it off, wxGTK3 not only switched the wx 
api, but also upgraded from GTK+2 to GTK+3. So there's a glorious amount of 
variables to consider for this migration, and that doesn't make it any easier.
Even if I would update wxPython to version 3 now, I'd probably still use GTK+2 
for a while, which in turn wouldn't make it drop-in with wxGTK3 and we'd end 
up with 3 wxGTK implementations that behave slightly differently and more or 
less conflict with each other.

To be honest, I don't really know what's best to do at this point. In lack of 
a reasonable migration path I decided to play the waiting game and see what 
happens. Now one year has passed since wxPython 3.0 and nothing really 
changed. As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind waiting a while longer. If 
someone wants to jump ahead of the curve and submit a wxPython3 script, I 
don't mind, but it doesn't really strike me as a solution worth pursuing to 
add another variable to an already complicated equation.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 213 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20150112/805ac027/attachment-0001.asc>

More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list