[Slackbuilds-users] movgrab

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Mon Jul 27 14:57:18 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 23:00 (+0700), Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

>> movgrab is fairly out of date.  Any plans to update it?

> The current maintainer is no longer active
> If you are using it and willing to take over, please do so :)

I rarely use it, so it probably doesn't make sense.

At the risk of rocking the boat...

It seems a recurring SBo theme is that some former maintainer gives up
on maintaining one or more given slackbuilds, and it becomes orphaned.
I know some people are doing great amounts of work maintaining
slackbuilds, and so it doesn't make sense to expect these active
people to do even more work.

What might be nice is for volunteers who have limited time to be able
to help out on an as-able basis.

One possible solution would be to let "anyone" (or maybe some people
on a "B Team" list) submit updates to any slackbuild at all.  If it is
not orphaned, the maintainer could "bless" the update and push it
through the system.  This might take a load off people who maintain a
lot of slackbuilds, which would be a good thing.

If the slackbuild is orphaned, some "A Team" person could give it a
very quick look to make sure that the "B Team" person hasn't messed
up, and then submit it, marking the slackbuild as "orphaned, use at
your own risk (even more than usual)".

As a recent example, Didier points out that a only a very trivial
change to the movgrab slackbuild is required (and probably an equally
trivial change to the download link).  He doesn't want to maintain it,
and nor do I.  Maybe someone who cares enough will volunteer, maybe
not.

As a concrete example, I'd be happy to submit such an update to
packages I use whenever I find something is out of date, but I don't
necessarily want to become the maintainer.  Having some middle ground
might improve the whole SBo experience.

Cheers.

                                Jim