[Slackbuilds-users] fltk in -current

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 18:27:12 UTC 2015

On 11/27/15, Matteo Bernardini <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com> wrote:

> just some points to add to the discussion, IMHO:
> - ATM we have both the version in SBo, fltk (the 1.1 branch) and
> fltk13 (the 1.3 branch);

Yep. But anything that uses fltk13 should work fine with Pat's fltk 1.3,
possibly with a trivial patch to any #includes that use Fl/ instead
of FL/.

> - to be fair we have also fltk2 (something like an alpha, a subversion
> snapshot), that seems needed for flpsed;

Haven't even looked at that. Assuming it will stay in the
14.2 repo as-is. Upstream has abandoned their 2.x branch (see
http://www.fltk.org/software.php), so not expecting anything to change
there.

> - usually we have not cared for what is in /extra (look at java/jdk,
> for example): if it's a dependency for something in our repository we
> have provided it also if present there;

What I'm seeing: SBo didn't have a jdk build until Slack 14.0, which
was also the first Slack release that didn't have a binary package of it:

- SBo for 13.37 has no jdk, and Slack 13.37 has jdk-6 in /extra.

- SBo for 14.0 has jdk, and Slack 14.0 has only a SlackBuild (no package)
  for java in /extra.

A non-java example: Slackware 13.0 and 13.1 have qt3 in
/extra/kde3-compat, which was dropped in 13.37.... and 13.37 is the
first appearance of the SBo qt3 package.

There are quite a few builds from SBo's 13.1 repo that have this in
their README: "This requires the qt3 package from extra/kde3-compat/"

...of course back then, the .info file didn't have a REQUIRES field.

> - we have a lot of stuff depending of fltk-1.1.x, I have some doubt
> that everything could be patched to build with 1.3.x;

The ones I patched turned out to be less work than I expected, but yes,
it would be some work that might not be worth doing.

There are 25 builds requiring fltk. 8 of them are mine, and 7 of them have
been patched to work with either fltk 1.1 or 1.3.

> - version naming is really up to the mantainer: let's see what Luca
> thinks about it (as he maintains both the versions).

Fair enough. I vote that whatever ends up happening, we don't end up with
SBo having a fltk build that conflicts with Pat's fltk in /extra... but
I'm aware it's not really up for voting.