[Slackbuilds-users] Optional dependencies in info file

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 10:44:46 UTC 2015

On 30/11/15 11:13, Didier Spaier wrote:
> On 30/11/2015 10:13, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:

>>> We need to bear in mind the difference between options and dependencies.
>>> An added option may, or may not, entail an added build dependency i.e.
>>> any added ENVOPTS (or whatever) field _may_ need adjustment to the
>>> REQUIRED field too. In order to keep existing .info fields pristine, I
>>> use an additional PREREQS field to keep track of additional
>>> dependencies, leaving the REQUIRED field intact.
>>
>> I think we understand each other, it's just wording that's awkward.
>>
>> I would see it more less (without longer thinking) like that:
>> - additional file for optional dependencies, together with the
>> environment variable (if applicable),
>> - additional file for environment variables that do not require software
>> dependency.
>>
>> That would require at least 2 things:
>> - forcing SlackBuild-s creators to use the particular structure - that's
>> not a problem, because SBo already has some requirements,
> Good luck to get that done, but do not hold your breath.
>
>> - making the website processing additional information to display it to
>> the user; it's important, because it would be error prone to expect the
>> SlackBuild creator to maintain README and additional meta-data files in
>> sync.
> I will let the website maintainers and admins answer that.
>
> I am reluctant.
> _ If a dependency is optional it's up to a human being to take or refuse it.
> _ We have already a lot of (I almost wrote "too many") package managers, as
>    listed by David (thanks again for the list):
>      http://idlemoor.github.io/slackrepo/links.html
>    It would take a lot of time to modify all of them accordingly.
> _ Along the time package managers naturally tend to provide more and more
>    features less and less useful, that just complicate their usage and
>    sometimes introduce bugs.
> _ Some features, although they be useful, exist since a long time and come
>    handy, are probably not used by many folks, like editing a SlackBuild or
>    a .info from sbopkg. The more features, the more time needed by end users
>    to use them.
> _ It is not that difficult to list optional dependencies in a SlackBuild
>    if the target audience is human beings, not computer propgrams.
>    This is just an example:
>      http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/misc/po4a/
>
>> Still, is it worth?
> No, IMHO.

Well, I too think that it would be much work, it's probably not worth it.

What is your opinion on the READMEs? For me it was the culprit, that
made me propose what I've proposed. It's my personal opinion, but the
READMEs are not well readable;)

I would propose to allow markdown in READMEs, but still, the maintainers
would have to use it in consistent way.

I know one should read the READMEs thoroughly, but it's much easier to
spot what's important, if it's *for example in bold*.

Like any other well written software, SBo deserves good documentation:)

I don't think we'll go much further with that for a moment;)

> I hope that this negative answer will not discourage you. We do need folks
> to make proposals, be they accepted or not, so thanks for this one Andrzej.

No worries:)

> Bien cordialement.
> Best regards,
> Pozdrawiam.