[Slackbuilds-users] Brief interruption in service at lists.slackbuilds.org, 2016-03-17

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Mon Mar 14 15:44:46 UTC 2016

Robby and I will be doing a hardware upgrade on harrier, the machine
which hosts lists.slackbuilds.org, probably on Thursday this week.
We're going to try filling it with green beer to see if that will
improve performance.  If that fails, we'll fill ourselves with green
beer and revert harrier to normal (albeit with an upgraded storage
array.)

We'll let you know in IRC when this happens.  You'll also see us
disappear from IRC during the outage. :)  We won't know the exact
time until we're onsite, which should be during the morning of our
TZ, UTC-5.

If all goes as planned, most users won't notice anything, but you
might see a slight delay in list posts.  Also, of course, the web
archive, as well as other HTTP sites we host, will be temporarily
unavailable.  I haven't bothered to check stats, but I suspect that
our most significant sites other than this mailing list would be
mirrors.slackware.com and alien.slackbook.org.

We'll let you know here when it's done and will give a report on the
effects of green beer.  Anyone in the vicinity of Birmingham, Alabama
is welcome to join in the experimentation; let us know off-list if
you're available and interested.

PS: As usual, "Robby and I" is shorthand for "Robby will do the work
while I stand around and try to look important."
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org