[Slackbuilds-users] xulrunner deprecation

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:30:22 UTC 2016

>> as Andrzej reported xulrunner overwrites files from the mozilla-nss
>> package in Slackware.
>>
>> also there's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XULRunner#Deprecation
>>
>> it seems that the best option for the moment would be to remove this
>> and the things that depends on it (evolus-pencil, gnash, vuze) from
>> our repository for 14.2.
>>
>> please express any alternative proposal regarding xulrunner and what
>> depends on it.
>
> as of gnash, it's still developed upstream, but no official release
> except for git snapshot.
>
> i wonder if it's still worthed to be kept in our repo as it doesn't
> really support newer flash formats and it has being phased out since
> 2013 in Chrome
> (http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html)
> and by the end of 2016 by Mozilla
> (https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/)

well, as long as npapi plugins are supported it should make sense, and
if 14.2 sticks with 45.Xesr, it should be supported on the next
Slackware version.

it can be it's possible to build gnash without xulrunner, but I think
the maintainer should decide that it's the case of pursuing this way,
in case in the end we agree to drop xulrunner.

Matteo