[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:14:39 UTC 2016

Hi,

I haven't slept too long and came up with the following idea
(this assumes that we do *somehow* agree on some tags in README):

The following optional, not auto-detected packages enable additional
features (you need to install the package and set environment variable):

[opt] libass, [env] ASS=yes|no [/opt], for ASS support,
[opt] libbluray, [env] BLURAY=yes|no [/opt], for BLURAY support,
[opt] libiec61883, libavc1394, [env] IEC61883=yes|no [/opt], for
IEC61883 support,

The magic behind:
we do not modify .info in any way, we just allow willing maintainers
(you can choose if you want or not to support the idea) to structure the
README in particular way, enclosing optional packages and environment
variables in tags.

We do it only for simple cases, i.e. if there is dependency that
requires choosing between two exclusive ones, of which one depends on
another optional package, then we leave it to human for parsing
(although it still would be very helpful to be able to click on the
optional package to see what is it about).

SBo would parse the README to create clickable optional packages.
Build tools would do what they have to do to do what they want to do.

SBo would allow for README preview, so the maintainer could ensure it's
the way he thinks it is.
SBo would immediately reject the submission if there was syntax error
(yuk, syntax error in README :-^).

Subject for improvements :-)

--
Best regards,