[Slackbuilds-users] msgpack-python, missing python3 optional dep

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Fri Nov 11 23:53:02 UTC 2016

On 12/11/16 12:10, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
> On 11/11/16 09:35, Franzen wrote:
>> The question is:
>> Should optional deps be mentioned in README, also if they
>> are autodetected?
>> I feel: yes
>
> Of course they should.
> I read READMEs, but please don't make me read SlackBuilds to find out
> optional packages.
>
> When I posted this message, I thought the action was obvious: update the
> README and that's it.
>
> I'm having hard times understanding your points of view.
> There is no evil intent here, I just don't understand ;-)

When auto-detection is possible, but an override might be desirable, I
try to mention the choice in the README, and provide an env var for
overrides.

For example, in my build script for luxrender:

<code>
By default, this SlackBuild:
1. Attempts to auto-detect where your Blender install is by grepping
/var/log/packages
2. Attempts to install the Blender plugin to that location

If you do not want it to attempt to do this, do:

$ BLENDER=no ./luxrender.SlackBuild

The Blender plugin will be copied to /usr/share/luxrender-VERSION

If you do have Blender, but in a different path than the SlackBuild.org
path,, or not
listed in /var/log/packages for some reason, then you can hardcode the path:

$ BLENDER=/path/to/blender/scripts ./luxrender.SlackBuild

IMPORTANT: Point to your Blender **scripts** directory.
</code>

This way the user knows what my logic was when writing the script, and
has the choice between 1) accepting my logic or 2) overriding the
default action per their custom set up.

This is also why I try to use more variable in my scripts than the
template provides (specifically for doc path, man path, and info path);
the default is sane and follows the standard, but overrides are easy for
non-standard setups.

-klaatu