[Slackbuilds-users] feature request!

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 00:46:47 UTC 2017

On 8/14/17, Fernando Lopez <fernando.lopezjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be cool if you can search by email and/or name in the website.
> maybe an advance search page?
>
> just saying.

Something I've long wished for: dependency search. Enter a build name,
get back a list of builds that depend on it. *Very* useful if you're
a maintainer and you're about to update a library to a new version,
you can get a list of stuff that needs testing to make sure you're not
about to break it.

It's possible to grep the .info files in a git clone of course. Still
be a nice feature for the site. Make it easy, and make it unacceptable
to *not* use it. As it stands now, some maintainers don't seem to test
anyone elses' builds when they update their deps. It'd be nice to make
this simple enough that everyone will do it.

To be clear: I don't mean that if you update a library, you have any
kind of obligation to fix someone elses' scripts that depend on it. But
a friendly "I'm about to submit an update to libfoobar, which breaks
your baz build, you might want to look into it" would not go amiss.