[Slackbuilds-users] goffice build script not finding installed library [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 20 23:47:52 UTC 2017

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> This is likely due to your upgrade and having old SBo packages that
> goffice links to that are linking to old Slackware files.

Jeremy,

   I removed the earlier version of goffice (0.10.15) before trying to
rebuild the current 0.10.34. I did not see dependencies for goffice on the
SBo page or in the README file.

> This is why it's typically recommended to rebuild all 3rd-party
> applications when you upgrade the distro.

   Which I'm doing as I find one -- such as gnucash -- that requires not only
an upgrade itself, but also an upgrade to goffice.

> There's so much dynamic linking that goes on that it can be a pain to
> track it down.

   Over the past 14 years I've run Slackware I've not found it onerous to
upgrade SBo packages. This host has been scrubbed of obsolete packages and
inadvertent duplicates in /usr/local/ so this issue with goffice really has
no precedence in the past few years.

> I'd get a list of all packages based on the responses in your other email
> thread and the run "slackpkg clean-system" to clear it all out and rebuild
> from scratch. It'll take time now but will likely save you a lot more time
> in the future from trying to figure out why things aren't compiling when
> they seem like they should.

   Rebuilding 180 packages on the system I use for running my business is not
practical; my need for this system is the reason I delay upgrading the
distribution.

Rich