[Slackbuilds-users] for christmas.... i would like...

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Tue Dec 26 01:34:20 UTC 2017

> 6. I've got another one - it would nice if it was officially allowed
> to contribute by sending a PATCH directly to the mailing list instead
> of using the submission form.  As many (most?) of use git to track
> slackbuilds.org it would just be enough to use `git-send-email' or
> `mutt -H' and be done with it.  It would be much faster and easier.  I
> remember we were sending PATCHES once when Slackware 14.2 was about to
> be released or soon afterwards, I also sent one.  Anyway, I use
> sbosubmit written by Andrzej Telszewski but sending patches directly
> would be even better.

We are talking about 2 different situations
When 14.2 repository was developed, we had an open session where
everyone is invited to submit patches to stabilize the repository. We
can also add new scripts directly into git because later on we used the
master branch to create what we called 14.2 repository now.

Once a new repository has been released, the workflow goes back to the
regular one where maintainers can push updates through git directly (if
they have the privilege) or submission form. You can use git-send-email
to send updates, but it would be best to send it directly to the
maintainer instead of to the list (unless the maintainer isn't
responding after some time) because maintainers may have their own
reason NOT to update a script in the repository or they need more time
to test whether the changes you made may break other scripts in the
repository.

Let's keep the mailing list for discussions, not for sending mass
patches just like linux-kernel mailing list :)

If you don't have the privilege to push directly to our server, but you
know GIT workflow, you can clone our repository and push it into your
github/gitlab personal account and submit a (Pull/Merge) Request. I have
done this method with some people and so far, it's working great.
Note that you can only send updates to your scripts only, not others.

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo