[Slackbuilds-users] enlightenment

Josiah Boothby josiahb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 04:33:46 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Erik Falor <ewfalor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 07:55:49AM +0700, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>> > Regarding the other message on this thread, I can look into the
>> > possibility of building e16 and supporting it as a separate
>> > SlackBuild, if it doesn't depend upon the legacy EFL libraries.
>>
>> e16 is still maintained by Josiah. You might want to talk to him first
>> if you want to maintain that script as well.
>
> CC'ing Josiah to bring him into the loop. Please correct me if I get
> anything wrong.
>
> After doing a bit of research on the subject of e16 co-existing with
> the new Enlightenment WM, I have found that e16 is an entirely
> unrelated codebase. e16 doesn't depend upon EFL, nor do the e16 and
> e16 and enlightenment packages conflict with each other. I have
> installed them side-by-side with no problems.
>
> e16 depends only upon imlib2, as does feh, xlunch, freewrl, qiv, sxiv,
> and many others. Unless imlib2 is going away, we may as well keep e16.
>
> In summary, I don't see any reason why we cannot continue to provide
> both SlackBuilds.
>
> As far as e16 goes, I don't use it, nor do I have any expectation to
> begin using it. To be honest, I don't even use Enlightenment; my
> interest in maintaining the EFL is due to my use of the Terminology
> terminal emulator.
>
> I'm not jockeying to become the new maintainer of e16. But I do want
> to point out that we updated the e16 SlackBuild to version 1.0.17
> almost one year ago, and version 1.0.18 was released on SourceForge on
> April 16 of this year. I bring this up simply because I think that
> this is a good time to decide whether we should continue to provide
> this package or not.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Erik Falor
> Registered Linux User #445632                    http://unnovative.net

Erik, thanks for poking at me here, I missed this in the thread.
You're absolutely right: as far as I can tell, e16 has essentially no
commonality with any modern EFL-based Enlightenment (e17 on forward).
For what it's worth, I use it as my primary DE...if I'm the only
person using it, maybe it doesn't need to be in the repository, but
given how different it is from DR17+ I figure its presence is not
redundant and possibly desirable for some.

I thought I was current on the versions, but clearly missed this one.
I'll submit an update shortly.

—Josiah