[Slackbuilds-users] Tracking version releases

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 20 09:51:32 UTC 2017

On 20/06/17 17:57, David Melik wrote:

>>      https://github.com/cwilling/pvc [...]
>
> I need that because many projects are notorious for not announcing new
> versions; they could not care less that package maintainers spread
> projects' software. Many projects are switching from newsgroups,
> listervs, IRC, and (though not as good) classic web-forums, to social
> networks and new web-chat rooms, or mixtures of those two, that few
> people want to sign up for... or they use newsgroups and/or listservs or
> version control sites posting lots of updates *except* actual version
> numbers. It's a mess. Though the more SlackBuilds I made, the more I got
> into habit to check, occasionally if I've been busy, it was maybe half a
> year before I noticed several new version of some software that I like,
> want to make available, if I don't actually often use it.
>
> So, I installed pvc as root, and when I run it I get this error (similar
> error as root:)
>
> d at cosmos:~$ pvc
> fs.js:952
> return binding.readdir(pathModule._makeLong(path), options.encoding);
> ^
>
> Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir
> '/home/d/.local/share/pvc'

That's a bit embarrassing - sorry about that. I'm just about to upload a
proper fix but in the meantime you could just create that directory
yourself and the rest will just work.

I see that one of your SBo SlackBuilds is python-jango-legacy which is
being held at 1.8.17. When you add that project to your watchlist with
something like:
    pvc add -p python-jango-legacy -t github -u django/django

it will find that the latest version is actually 1.11.2 and use that
value in the watch file entry it creates. You can "manually" change the
version recorded in your watchfile with:
    pvc update -p python-jango-legacy -v 1.8.17

The problem is that every time you do a 'pvc check' or 'pvc check
python-jango-legacy', it will report that your 1.8.17 version is out of
date. I'll have to think about how to deal with that sort of thing.

Thanks for reporting,
chris