[Slackbuilds-users] webkit2gtk build problems

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:57:14 UTC 2017

On 9/20/17, Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> And we have many more scripts that might be hungry, like qt5 or
> LibreOffice.
>
> I'm not sure if they all should be updated this way.

Up to the individual maintainers. If it were up for voting, I'd vote yes.
What possible reason is there for not wanting to do this? (I honestly
can't see one. Even laziness shouldn't apply, we're talking about adding
one line to a file that already exists)

Anything that takes many hours to complete, and stands a chance of failing
because of missing information on the builder's part (like "this needs
2GB of RAM"), information that the maintainer *has* but hasn't bothered
to share with the builder... that leads to wasted time and resources, and
annoys the builder (who is your audience... the person you're ultimately
doing this for in the first place).

Me, I put this in mame's README:

"This build requires around 2GB of storage in /tmp (or whatever you set
TMP to in the environment)."

...to be fully honest, I put it there because I myself will forget that
fact, and try to build it on my laptop where /tmp is a tmpfs that never
grows past 1GB. After shooting myself in the foot several times, I've
put a warning label on the gun (which will also benefit others).

I also went to some trouble with the mame build to reduce the build
time and amount of memory used, by using the ld.gold linker. qt5 I think
already does this (autodetects it). LibreOffice might not benefit much
from it since it's got so much Java code... haven't looked at webkit2gtk,
maybe it could benefit from this too? (possibly as simple as adding
LDFLAGS="-fuse-ld=gold" to the make command)