[Slackbuilds-users] long-time build errors (open-adventure, notepadqq, sbocheck of adobe-reader & VariCAD)

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:48:58 UTC 2018

On 8/7/18, David Melik <davidnchmelik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this error compiling open-adventure (for months.)
>
>     cc -std=c99 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -DVERSION=\"1.4\" -O2 -fPIC
>     -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-all  -o advent main.o init.o
>     actions.o score.o misc.o saveresume.o dungeon.o  -ledit -lncurses
>     a2x --doctype manpage --format manpage advent.adoc
>     ERROR: advent.adoc: line 1: malformed manpage title
>     ERROR: advent.adoc: line 4: first section must be named NAME
>     ERROR: advent.adoc: line 7: second section must be named SYNOPSIS
>     a2x: failed: asciidoc --doctype=manpage  -d manpage -b docbook
>     "advent.adoc"
>     Makefile:68: recipe for target 'advent.6' failed
>     make: *** [advent.6] Error 1

open-adventure is mine... this is the first time I've seen this error,
if you reported it before I must have missed it somehow.

I can't duplicate your error. I just now built open-adventure on 3 14.2
systems: one 64-bit with lots of extra junk installed, one 64-bit clean
system (full install of Slackware, all updates applied with 'slackpkg
upgrade-all', nothing extra from SBo or anywhere else), and one 32-bit
clean system (same as the 64-bit). It builds correctly on all 3 systems.

I even tried it on -current, and it built fine (though if it didn't,
I wouldn't care much, I have enough work to do keeping my stuff working
on 14.2).

I got 2 volunteers on IRC to attempt to build it, and it builds correctly
for both of them, too.

So something's different between your system and ours... something
that renders the a2x command broken, or at least different from what
open-adventure was written for. We have to figure out what it is, and
fix it.

The command that's failing is "a2x". The a2x command comes from the
linuxdoc-tools package. What version of this package do you have
installed? On both 64-bit boxes:

$ cd /var/log/packages/
$ ls linuxdoc-tools*
linuxdoc-tools-0.9.69-x86_64-5

My 32-bit system is the same version also (of course i586, not x86_64).

Another thought: what do you get from running this command?  ls -l `which a2x`

You should get:

$ ls -l `which a2x`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jul 19  2016 /usr/bin/a2x -> a2x.py*

...Possibly the time/date might be different.

If you get anything else, especially a mention of /usr/local/, then
you're not using the official Slackware version of a2x...