[Slackbuilds-users] muParser and future of QtiPlot

Fellype fellype at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:21:05 UTC 2018

Hi Petar,

Em qua, 19 de dez de 2018 às 18:55, Petar Petrov <slackalaxy at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Hi to all,
>
> i prepared an update of my muParser.SlackBuild for version 2.2.6.1. It
> builds fine, however QtiPlot which depends on muParser breaks when
> building against the new version. Now, I have these options:
>
> 1) I can build the old version muParser into QtiPlot. In this case, I
> will not have any reason to maintain the separate muparser, so I will
> give it to someone else.
> 2) I can try to find a solution for QtiPlot to build against newest
> muParser. This will take time.
> 3) I can just leave things as they are.
>
> A few notes. Most of the distros, stick with the older version of the
> library, so maybe we should too for now? Also, QtiPlot is very old and
> the publicly available source code is no longer maintained. The
> developer changed the license some time ago, so the version we have at
> SBo is the last with available source code. Even now, it requires a
> lot of patches and at a certain point in the future it will be no
> longer possible to build. I guess we should just drop it then. We have
> SciDAVis, which is a fork of QtiPlot and it seems quite good.
>
> What would you advise me to do?
>
> Unfortunately QtiPlot did a bad move when it adopted a non-free license
(IMHO).
As the maintainer of SciDAVis at SBo, my suggestion is that you choose
option 3 - just leave things as they are, at least until the next Slackware
release. Then, if you find it not worth the effort to adopt none of the
options 1 or 2, drop QtiPlot and update muParser (or give it for another
maintainer). Knowing the qtiplot build script, I call you hero for keeping
it running for so long :-)
The other software at SBo I could find that depends on MuParser are:
OTB
librecad
meshlab

It would be interesting to have feedback from maintainers of those in
relation to the muParser version.
It would be helpful if statistics were available on the use of QtiPlot (and
any other software, of course) at SBo.

Best regards,

Fellype