[Slackbuilds-users] lmello's svgalib stuff

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 04:37:32 UTC 2018

On 1/8/18, B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:

> zgv can be built for SDL instead of svgalib, which might allow it to
> work with the framebuffer console. If this actually works, would there
> be any benefit in converting the zgv build to use it instead of svgalib?
> We already have some decent framebuffer image viewers, including fbi.

Update: zgv built for SDL doesn't work on my system, it compiles (with
a one-line patch) but at runtime complains:

zgv: a 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024 mode is required.

...my console is 1920x1080, which is the native res of my LCD panel. So
this doesn't look very useful, especially as fbi works fine on my system,
if I want to view images in the console.

I played around with the svgalib zgv, and was unable to get it to
work on my system... I've got a fairly old (2009 or so) PCI Express
NVidia card, using the nouveau driver. Tried changing the chipset in
/etc/vga/libvga.config to VGA, VESA, NV3, and FBDEV, none of them work
(zgv segfaulted and/or produced no graphics display).

All the supported chipsets listed in libvga.config are outdated and
unlikely to still be in use today...

So, anyone got a working svgalib setup, and wants to maintain zgv and/or
svp? Does anyone actually use either of these successfully at all?

If not... normally I don't argue for removing stuff from the repo, but if
it's unmaintained *and* completely useless for any purpose, why keep it?

If someone does want to take over zgv, I know at least one change that
needs to be made: the kernel module svgalib_helper mentioned in the
README has changed its name, it's now called just svgalib.