[Slackbuilds-users] qt5 is sorely in need of an update

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:19:30 UTC 2018

On 7/3/18, Larry Hajali <larryhaja at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm here and I did respond if you look at this email chain.

Sorry, haven't been following this thread until now...

> Issue is that newer PyQt5 versions rely on a newer version of sip that
> comes with Slackware 14.2.

Hm. So if someone did build a newer qt5, they'd end up being able to run
stuff written in C++ that uses it, but not Python as there'd be no way
to build PyQt5...

I sympathize, my zathura build and its plugins are stuck on an older
version because they need a newer gtk3 than Slack 14.2 provides. The qt5
situation is worse because so much software uses it (nobody's clamoring
for zathura updates, it's an application, not a library that other
stuff needs).

> Last I remember someone was going to look at packaging a newer sip
> pacakge that can either replace or run alongside the stock sip package
> in Slackware 14.2. I don't have time to investigate this.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at this myself. "Run alongside", not
"replace", and maybe instead of a separate package, it could be built
in /tmp and used by the PyQt5 build. Kinda like Pat does with libmikmod,
in his SDL SlackBuild.

> If the ultimate goal is to have a new version of qt5, than someone can
> create a package called qt59 or whatever to satisfy a dependency.

Yah, that seems like the best way, at least until 15.0 gets released
(assuming it has a new enough sip package). I guess there'd have to also
be a PyQt59 to go along with qt59.