[Slackbuilds-users] qt5 is sorely in need of an update

orbea at fredslev.dk orbea at fredslev.dk
Tue Jul 3 20:35:58 UTC 2018

> Is the problem just that the maintainer's gone missing, or is he
> answering emails and giving out a reason why he won't update the
> build?

My issue is that this is a years old known packaging bug and no one has
bothered to do anything about it despite complaining on numerous
occasions here and on irc... The end result is a subpar and buggy Qt5
package which is quickly become less and less viable. Given the number
of things that depend on it this really needs to be resolved sooner
rather than later.

> I wouldn't mind taking a look at this myself. "Run alongside", not
> "replace", and maybe instead of a separate package, it could be built
> in /tmp and used by the PyQt5 build. Kinda like Pat does with
> libmikmod, in his SDL SlackBuild.

This seems like a workable idea, as far as I can tell PyQt5 nor Qt5
actually link against sip and I'd guess its a only a build dependency?

Another idea is to convince Pat to just update sip in 14.2, given the
real problems its posing its not unreasonable.