[Slackbuilds-users] dmca takedown notice?!

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:03:47 UTC 2018

> On 6/13/18, Matteo Bernardini <matteo.bernardini at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That repo is also on the takedown list!
>>
>> in that case maybe dropping the jack-lxvst stuff may be more
>> appropriate: from the SlackBuild
>>
>> # - Added VST headers to get jack-lxvst to build. Not sure the
>> #   licensing status of these, but they were cloned from a public
>> #   github repo.
>>
>> if we could do with downloading an SDK, maybe accepting a license, and
>> get those files from it I suppose it's fine too.
>>
>> IMHO, Urchlay decides the course of action.
>
> Wow, what a mess.
>
> Does anyone actually *use* jack-lxvst? I don't, I just included it for
> completeness' sake. Upstream's description:
>
> jack cli host for linux vst instruments
>
> There aren't very many native Linux VST instruments. The vast majority
> of them are for Windows... And, the vast majority of people wanting to
> use VST would be using a host with a GUI, I think. Would anyone miss
> this if it were gone?
>
> Another possibility: there exists a project that reverse engineered the
> VST headers (I want to say it's called "fst" or maybe "festige"). Possibly
> these could be used instead, but it's a riskier course of action (we're
> already being sniffed at by a pack of trained attack lawyers, doing this
> might get the other project in trouble too).
>
> Ideally I'd like to discuss this before taking any action. Are we under a
> time limit? Remove the headers within X days or they unleash the slavering
> horde upon us?

every repository on github must comply with the takedown in (more or
less) 18 hours...

we talked about it a little with the other SBo admins and we think to
proceed this way:

- first step will be to erase commit
c7682c3631f4a4b1c7611dcaddeda526a90077cd from the git history of the
master branch: we will do that by rebasing the 11867 commits that
followed it on master;

- we will push it on SBo's git server and then force-push on github SBo mirror;

- tags following 14.2-20170128.1 will be removed from github and we
will decide how to handle those in the next days;
to comply with the takedown you git user should take care to remove
tags also on your github forks with something like 'git push github
:refs/tags/14.2-20170204.1' and 'git tag -d 14.2-20170204.1'.

everybody having forks or branches checked out over the old master
branch will better do a local

git format-patch master

of their commits, move them somewhere handy to reapply them later over
a new checkout -b of the new master branch that you will have to
update with

git checkout master
git fetch --all
git reset --hard origin/master

this will apply to every branch forked from SBo's master, on local, on
github, on SBo's git, etc.

we will think about a stricter set of rules to avoid things like this
to happen in the future (like not allowing things with unclear
licenses).

Matteo

P.S. We will notify the list when the newer master branch will be
pushed on SBo's git.