[Slackbuilds-users] MEGAsync required deps?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:50:28 UTC 2018

On 3/10/18, Jeremy Hansen <jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just so you know, a "required" dependency on SBo is something the
> maintainer decided was required, not necessarily something that is actually
> required for compilation/running. It may provide a feature that the
> maintainer feels is a big enough deal to make it required on his package.

Thanks for putting that into words. I wish it were part of the SBo
documentation.

There's a guy on IRC who insists that e.g. my espeak build shouldn't
have portaudio listed as a dependency, because espeak can be compiled &
run without it... but if you want it to actually *speak* in realtime
(instead of rendering to a .wav file), portaudio is required.

Another example: gzdoom can be built & run without OpenAL, but in that
case it will make NO sound at all, which is definitely not what people
expect when they play a game of Doom.