[Slackbuilds-users] Jack-rack make failure

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:54:41 UTC 2018

On 3/13/18, x80 <x80 at telus.net> wrote:
> Yes it's jack2.
> The Libs line in jack.pc looks like this:
>
> Libs: -L/usr/lib64 -ljack
>
> Seems it wasn't compiled with pthreads. I wonder if it's not a corrupt lib?

Eh, it probably isn't "corrupt", it's probably just that jack-rack
expects the .pc file for the jack library to always include -lpthread,
so doesn't include -lpthread explicitly.

You can use ldd on the jack library to find out whether or not it was
compiled with pthreads (I suspect it was), but whether or not jack2 was
built with pthreads, jack-rack has to be.

In jack-rack.SlackBuild, the configure command reads:

LDFLAGS="-lm -ldl" \
CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  $LASH_OPT \
  --disable-gnome \
  --build=$ARCH-slackware-linux

Change the first line of that to read:

LDFLAGS="-lm -ldl -lpthread" \

...don't forget the trailing backslash!

Let me know whether or not that fixes the problem... and even if it
fixes this specific issue, there may be others.

If that fixes it, I'll probably just patch jack2's .pc file to include
-lpthread, since I suspect lots of other jack apps will have the same
problem when built with jack2.

Basically, jack2 on SBo is almost completely untested. Someone
submitted it a few years back and never updated it, and none of the
READMEs for any of the JACK-related stuff mentions it. They all list
jack-audio-connection-kit (AKA jack1) as a dependency in their .info
files, so that's what people end up using.

You're the first user I've met who has even tried jack2, so I'm very
interested to know what you've done with it. What SBo JACK stuff have
you installed, and how well do they work, that sort of thing.