[Slackbuilds-users] BOINC releases: more github downoad URL befuddlement

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:23:42 UTC 2018

I know this comes up way to often, but I am stumped.  How do I get a
proper download URL from github for boinc?  On the release page

https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/releases

when I use a browser (e.g. Firefox) to d/l the tar.gz for
client_release/7.8/7.8.6 I get the file:
boinc-client_release-7.8-7.8.6.tar.gz

the same URL with wget (right-click, copy link location) gives:
7.8.6.tar.gz

The URL Firefox displays in the status bar to click on to d/l is:
https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/archive/client_release/7.8/7.8.6.tar.gz

If I extract the URL Firefox ended up using in its download progress window:
https://codeload.github.com/BOINC/boinc/tar.gz/client_release/7.8/7.8.6
I get a file named simply "7.8.6"

If I use:
wget --content-disposition
https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/archive/client_release/7.8/7.8.6.tar.gz

the downloaded file is as expected:
boinc-client_release-7.8-7.8.6.tar.gz

Why does this have to be so freaking obscure?  Obviously, "7.8.6.tar.gz"
is not usable in .info for SBo automated tools. Looking at other github
examples was of no help - lots of 'ERROR 404: Not Found.' trying to link
to the full file name directly.

TL;DR:
What do I put in boinc.info for a download URL for release posted on github?

Thanks
Ed