[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20180520.1 (gdal)

David Spencer idlemoor at slackbuilds.org
Sun May 20 08:38:35 UTC 2018

Hi Chris, hi everybody --

On 20/05/18 08:45, Christoph Willing wrote:
>> gis/gdal: Updated for version 2.2.4.
>
> I was wondering why this was being downgraded from 2.3.0 so soon after
> its recent upgrade; then saw in git log that it was due to recent
> breakage of "lots of dependent packages that don't use c++11".

Yes, sorry everybody -- due to me being stupid and looking in the wrong
VM, I didn't see all the breakage that 2.3.0 had caused until yesterday.

So I pushed a quick revert before Willy did yesterday's public update :)

> In fact I had noticed this when rebuilding OpenSceneGraph (which
> optionally requires gdal) and had already suggested to the maintainer a
> fairly simple change to the OSG SlackBuild which fixed the problem for
> OSG with gdal-2.3.0. I had three other SlackBuilds which depend on gdal
> and their rebuilds were all unaffected by the c++11 issue.
>
> I see there are quite a few SlackBuilds which depend on gdal, however
> might it be possible for them to be changed (like OSG) so that gdal
> isn't stuck at 2.2.4? All that needed to be done in the OSG case was to
> add "-std=c++11" to the compiler environment. In OSG's case, using cmake:
>     -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING="$SLKCFLAGS -std=c++11" \
>     -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="$SLKCFLAGS -std=c++11" \
>
> It may not be so simple for all affected SlackBuilds but worth a try?

Thanks for bringing a solution instead of a problem :)

The first fail on my list (libLAS) explicity sets gnu89. libLAS seems to
be dying or dead upstream, so I gave up. We might need to make some
difficult decisions, depending on which packages are unfixable.

I'll try to do some more this week (more carefully!)

Thanks again
-D.