[Slackbuilds-users] postgis and CGAL 4.12

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Thu May 24 15:03:04 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 06:05:30 PDT Konrad J Hambrick wrote:
> Thank you for the replies Willy and Ben.
>
> I'll try Ben's patch as linked by Willy.

That patch is unrelated.

> As for why is SFCGAL linked to postgis ... I don't recall !
>
> I've been building and installing CGAL and SFCGAL for 'a while' now and I
> don't recall why :)

This is probably one of those cases where if you don't know that you need it,
you don't need it :)

CGAL/SFCGAL add some addtional geometric functions that aren't available in
geos, but the application for these is pretty niche. A quick look at the docs
should tell you whether you can dispense with SFCGAL altogether: https://
postgis.net/docs/manual-2.4/reference.html#reference_sfcgal

> I've also got a feeling that the issue with compiling postgis 2.4.4 with (
> CGAL 4.12 + SFCGAL 1.3.5 ) is that Slackware 14.2 ships with boost 1.59
> while the stdc++17 flag is only supported in boost version 1.67 and greater.
>
> Anyhow I've got a few avenues to explore now and I'll report back as soon
> as I can !

If you find a way forward to build PostGIS with the current versions of CGAL/
SFCGAL, that would be aweseom. Let us know!