[Slackbuilds-users] Fontforge build error

Arnaud yth at ythogtha.org
Fri Oct 5 17:08:25 UTC 2018

> Rich,
>
> I am pretty sure you are *not* building an a *clean* 64-bit only system with
> *no multilib* but with all patches listed in the ChangeLog applied.
>
> Until you reinstall from scratch Slackware64-14.2 and do *not* install on it
> any package not shipped in Slackware but those built from SlackBuilds that
> you downloaded from https://slackwbuilds.org, you are just making people
> trying to help you on this list waste their time.
>
> Didier

I'll go further :

My suggestion, Rich, has been already presented in this thread.
It is to create a chrooted clean 64-14.2 fully patched installation.

 * Create a destination directory, for example : /srv/slackware/
 * Simply go to a source directory, remove all kdei languages you won't use (or
all of kdei) :
slackware64-14.2/slackware64$ installpkg --root=/srv/slackware/ */*.t?z
 * Then go inside it :
$ chroot /srv/slackware/ bash -l
 * You'd better mount /proc /dev and /sys
 * Here you configure slackpkg, and update your all chrooted slackware for
recent patches. (don't forget to copy /etc/resolv.conf
into /srv/slackware/etc/resolv.conf to get network working inside the chroot).

 * Then you build whatever you need, installing dependencies.
 * And when you're finished, you remove all locally built installed packages for
the next package you'll try to install.
	I'd advise installing python3 and leaving it there, many python
SlackBuilds are silently building for python3 if it is installed, and it might
be what you want for your box, and python3 being present does not pose any
side problem anyway.

	The packages you built on the chrooted environment should work on your
multilib box without any problem, if they don't then your slackware install is
somehow broken.

	I started doing this after having troubles building too many packages,
multilib is a problem for some slackbuilds (for some time I used to
move /usr/lib/ into something like /usr/lib32/ before building a problematic
packages, just to be sure it found only /usr/lib64/, but it *is* ugly).
	Furthermore you have a way better control over what you are building
against.

If *that* still fails, then you have a pretty good reason to ask for help.
Else, trying to figure out what may be wrong with your specific box, with your
specific environment, with your specific packages installed, is going to be very
hard, and most of the time not very useful.

The advantage of chroot over a VM is that it is waaaay easier to setup, and it
takes less disk space too, and less resources (it's completely passive : it does
nothing when you do nothing). And mostly, for what you're doing (build packages
for your box) there are no disadvantages.

I'll clean and send a script that does all this stuff automagically.

--
Arnaud <yth at ythogtha.org>