[Slackbuilds-users] zathura, texlive, and synctex

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Mon Sep 10 21:44:27 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep  9, 2018 at 17:31 (-0400), B Watson wrote:

> This is a call for volunteers to test something: I've just pushed a
> patched zathura that compiles successfully with texlive's synctex support,
> but since I have no clue how to use synctex, have never touched tex in
> my life, I don't know how to test it & make sure it works the way it's
> supposed to.

> So would someone mind trying it out? It's in SBo git in a branch
> called "user/urchlay/zathura-synctex-bodge". If you'd rather not
> use git, here's a tarball you can download instead:

> http://urchlay.naptime.net/~urchlay/src/zathura-synctex-bodge.tar.gz

I expect you were really asking about the synctex functionality, but
on my system the default zathura slackbuild *and* your version do the
absolute worst job of rendering PDF that I can recall ever having
seen.  As it is, the program is useless.  xpdf, evince, acroread,
mupdf and foxitreader are all drastically better than either of the
zathuras.

I expect I must have something on my system which is misconfigured
that somehow manages to affect zathura but not the other poppler-based
readers.  (And when I installed mupdf, getting the mupdf renderer, it
did not improve.)

I am running S64-14.2.  The only "peculiarity" I can immediately think
on a hi-DPI system (163 DPI) (I know some software is just plain
broken when the DPI is not close to 96, but I am grasping at straws
here).

Can anyone else comment on what they see with either the default
zathura or B Watson's?

Thanks.

                                Jim