[Slackbuilds-users] Jack policy

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 16:53:36 UTC 2019

On 11/28/19, Franzen <slackbuilds at schoepfer.info> wrote:

> The previous posts showed that there is no better or discontinued jack,
> to make a dependeing build work both seem to do the job.
>
> For now, i'll change my builds to jack-audio-connection-kit, maybe the
> last two other builds from other maintainer follow.

I'm the maintainer of both jack builds, I've been going through my (and
some other peoples') builds that depend on jack-audio-connection-kit
and checking them with jack2 instead.

Here's my idea of what to do: in the READMEs for both
jack-audio-connection-kit and jack2, put a prominent notice that
says something like "Note: jack2 is a direct drop-in replacement for
jack-audio-connection-kit", and a short explanation of the differences.

Since there's no || operator in REQUIRES (and there probably
never will be), users will have to learn that any time they see
jack-audio-connection-kit as a dependency, jack2 can be used instead.
It's not ideal, but it would be way more confusing for some builds
to list jack-audio-connection-kit and others to list jack2 (literal
following of the deps would mean they'd be mutually exclusive, when
they're actually not).

Willy, and other reviewers, can I ask you guys to *not* put jack2 in
REQUIRES? For consistency, if you have to add one of the jacks as a dep,
add jack-audio-connection-kit. Anyone who's paying attention and reading
the READMEs will see that they could use jack2 instead...  and anyone
NOT paying attention will end up with the older JACK, but at least it
will work.