[Slackbuilds-users] Merging python / python3 packages

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Tue Feb 19 23:34:56 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-19 12:22 a.m., Matteo Bernardini wrote:
> Il giorno mar 19 feb 2019 alle ore 09:14 David Demelier
> <markand at malikania.fr> ha scritto:
>>
>> In Slackware current, python packages are both provided for python 3 and
>> python 2 using the same SlackBuild file.
>>
>> In SlackBuilds repository there are some duplications for the same
>> packages. E.g. python3-Pygments and Pygments.
>
> Hi David,
>
> there has already been some talk about it and the plan should be
> merging the eventual two versions of the Slackbuild in a single one
> for both python-2.x and python3-3.x when the repository will be
> migrated to the next Slackware version, keeping things untouched in
> the meantime to avoid confusion and issues with dependencies.

As Matteo mentioned, it's come up a few times on the list if you check
the archives. I'm strongly in favour of merging 2/3 into single
SlackBuilds and while this will mostly happen during the freeze before
15.0, maintainers can start doing it now if they are comfortable making
Python 3 a *mandatory* dependency for their SlackBuilds. I'm doing it
for a lot of my Python scripts, e.g.
https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/commit/?h=14.2&id=e41084eb60be64574dca5a993bb9ca3ceef6a1ea

(Pygments is harder since there are separate maintainers for the 2 and 3
versions)

Ben